If you have a child entering kindergarten in the fall of 2017 or 2018 and have questions about area kindergarten programs, please join families of the Takoma Children’s School (TCS) on Tuesday, December 6th from 7 pm to 9 pm for Kindergarten Info Night.
TCS is located at 6925 Willow Street, Washington, DC (downtown Takoma Park across from CVS).
Purpose: This event will help parents learn more about what to expect and better understand area choices for kindergarten. All parents of preschool children in the community are welcome (adults only please).
Description: Parents from a number of local public and private schools will answer questions about their child’s kindergarten experience, as well as their own experiences at the school. We’ll be asking about each school’s philosophy and curriculum, school’s strengths and challenges, parent involvement, school leadership, and language immersion and other special programs. In addition, there will be time for parents attending the event to ask questions.
Topics we’ll be discussing with the parent panelists include:
· “day in the life” of a kindergartner
· school approaches to education (e.g. traditional, progressive, how much: standardized testing, homework, computer time, outdoor/active time, non-academic learning (arts), etc.)
· children’s social experiences
· quality and accessibility of teachers and administrators
· quality of interactions with other parents; role of the PTA
· application to and experiences with immersion programs
· favorite things and most challenging things about schools
We are hoping to have representation from the following area public and private schools:
Takoma Park Elementary School
Rolling Terrace Elementary School
Sligo Creek Elementary School
Rock Creek Forest Elementary School
East Silver Spring Elementary School
Friends Community School
Washington Waldorf School